6/06/2006

the littlest dog

Dodger dog, that is. Though I don't pay attention to baseball anymore, I still have so many favorite memories of the 1970's team that boasted Steve Garvey on first base and Dusty Baker on third. Or was Baker in centerfield? Well, maybe I'm lacking some details in this rusty memory of mine. Fernando was pitching in the best year of all. I was in 5th grade. I am certain that my mom used to jump up and down on our corduroy sofa and yell "Go, baby, go!" and "All the way home!!", when we watched the games on TV. I loved sitting in the stands and singing Take Me Back to the Ballgame and eating as much of the footlong that I could manage. My cousins and I would crash in the back of the car on the long ride home, each toting a miniature wooden bat or a small, blue plastic batting helmet that might later be worn by someone's cat, or a giant foam hand with an upraised index finger. When I met B's grandmother Lois, affectionately known as Grammalo, she showed me a photo that she had taken of him at J.J. Newbury's in Glendora wearing only a diaper and the L.A. ballcap. She is 76 years young today, getting ready to celebrate by travelling to Alaska, one of the few places she hasn't yet seen. Happy Birthday, Grammalo! You are such an inspiration to us.

5 Comments:

Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

i think i can hear that laugh all the way up here. thank you for posting these pictures. they just made my evening...love that face.

and the trip down memory lane as well...

6/06/2006 10:19:00 PM  
Blogger Goddess Leonie * GoddessGuidebook.com said...

oh my goddessss!

that is the CUTEST everrrrrrrrrrr

oxoxoxo

6/06/2006 10:49:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thank you once again, for starting my day with a dose of Miles. Oh how I wish I could love on him in person.
xoxo
w

6/07/2006 03:45:00 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Holy cow! He's laughing! I can't wait to see it in person!
Julie J

6/07/2006 07:09:00 PM  
Blogger boho girl said...

What a fracken cutie!!

Such good baseball memories. I could see it so vividly.

So...since we miss Battlestar so much, we've ventured onto Farscape. Not as good but they have muppets!!! Muppets that fly...

Love,
Your nerdie friend

6/12/2006 11:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home