12/06/2006

Winter Sparks

The winter can be so very dry here, which means static electricity zaps the daylights out of us regularly. Miles hair has just been rubbed all over the microfiber couch, which cracked me up as it stood waving in the air above his head. Our hands are so dry and raw, but this has helped. Doing dishes and felting are not helping matters, plus I grated my thumb something awful making zest for an orange yogurt cake. A right mess over here. We decorated our little tree last night and contemplated what the holiday means to us. Neither B nor I are religious, so the intended message of Christmas doesn't apply in our household. However, it's as a good time as any to create a ceremony of giving and receiving to say thank you and I love you to those people we adore. I love the ritual of making gifts and wrapping packages, writing dear friends names and addresses on the envelopes. I love making the lists. I love the ambient lights, spicy eggnog, cinnamony and evergreen smells and dressing up. I love thinking about Miles under the tree on Christmas morning. What breakfast will we have? I would like to do the same thing every year. Crepes? Pancakes? Facon? Muffins? How will we tell him about Santa or the Spirit of Santa? I'm looking forward to knitting my boys up closely around me, getting cozy under a blanket together, and holding the moments for as long as I can. Soon, the excitement of the new year and its fresh possibilities will take over. Until then, I plan to soak up this scrumptious holiday energy!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, hi...best post ever? you and i are on the same page re:the holidays. i love your expression "knitting my boys up closely around me". that just about sums up what i want to do.

now you've got me inspired to draw up my own christmas morning breakfast.

12/07/2006 07:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet--a new background for my desktop. it will bring many happy smiles.
loverly sentiments too.

12/08/2006 08:10:00 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Lawdy! He's gorgeous!!!

12/08/2006 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

it's like you can hear the giggles in these picture.

and i love the image of you knitting your boys closely to you...beautiful.

12/08/2006 02:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home