10/01/2006

One Going on Two

"To love is to discover and complete one's self in someone other than oneself."--Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

One thing will always fascinate me about babies: how fast they grow into big people! My baby is one year old today and just look at the difference. Every day he is saying something new, making a new sound with his drool and pressed-together lips, moving across the room in a new way, and exploring his world a little differently than yesterday.

When Miles was born a year ago, I went into labor at about 4 in the morning. The neighbor's dog was barking incessantly at the fence and when I awoke to grumble, I discovered I was having some crampy feelings, kind of like PMS back pain. B and I laid in bed whispering and wondering if it was real, this being 4 days before the dude's due date. Indeed, it was to be the big day, so we made our way excitedly out the door and to the midwife's house. She had to kick her poor husband out of bed to make a birthing room for us! (We love you Brenda and Mike!)

I got in the bathtub and lounged around eating popsicles and eating ice until about 9 ish when I threw up my chocolate peanut butter ice cream from the previous night and labor kicked into high gear. I remember looking at the clock at 9:22 am and then not doing a lot of conscious "thinking" until about an hour before the delivery. I went into a state that, in hindsight, reminds me of what a mother elk must feel like when giving birth: huge, bellowy, and shifting around a lot. I moaned my way through the contractions in a low and primitive way. I do remember being on all fours on the bed and feeling a pretty intense contraction when I heard a big PLOP like a giant water balloon just fell out of me and burst. The bag of water had broken. The midwife must've come in about then and been surprised because all of a sudden, I was handed some liquid chorophyll to drink and told that Miles would be with us soon!

The pushing bit was strange, I had exhausted myself getting through the contractions and didn't have much energy left. Miles crowned and hung out on my perineum for about 40 minutes. I think I finally gasped that I couldn't do it (we'd been warned by our hypnobirthing coach that we'd have a baby in minutes once this is declared) and asked Brandon to sit behind me. When the next wave came through I bore down and we sat up rather forcefully together and out the little man came! He got a quick swab with a towel from the midwife and was placed on my belly.

Touching him for the first time was one of the most mystical and satisfying things I've ever experienced. The placenta delivered less than 10 minutes later and wet, silky Miles anxiously clamoured up to nurse like a pro. (I was grateful that he knew what he was doing) We three collapsed in a heap for a few hours as if in a blissful, technicolor dream.

About our birthing experience, I can say it was a dream come true. There isn't one thing I would change about how Miles experienced his first moments in this realm. I consider myself so very, very blessed.

Happy Birthday, Miles Lighthorse, my heart's delight. We love you so much.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness--what a glorious and heartwarming account of that blessed event one year ago today. Miles will love reading that when he is older--you and Brandon are such a gift to him, as he is to you and the rest of us who cherish him.
It has been a year of awe and wonder, of unbridled joy, of excitement, of contented sighs, of new heart songs, of love and love and love.
Feliz Cumpleanos, Miles Lighthorse Sugar Booger Campbell

10/01/2006 08:51:00 PM  
Blogger Goddess Leonie * GoddessGuidebook.com said...

oh wow...
pixie, that is profound and beautiful and touching... what an incredible tale...
bless you woman... and bless you miles for birthing each other into this world...

this story stirs deep in my womb.

10/01/2006 09:29:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

=) Happiest of Mothers day to you and Fathers day to Daddy B! This amazingly cuter by the moment little man has a year of spectacular growth ahead! Watch out mom and dad!! Thank you for sharing the story of his arrival. By far, my two most favored moments are the births of my littles followed by hearing about everyone elses............ amazing and wonderful.

10/01/2006 11:25:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Happy Birthday, Miles Lighthorse!!! You are soooo loved by sooooo many!

Pixie, your birth story made me cry. So beautiful.

I adore you...
W

10/02/2006 03:28:00 AM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

i am sitting here in my just awake sleepy state crying at the beauty of it all...at the way you get it. (and [i am whispering now], you invite me to think i could maybe do it too)

10/02/2006 09:14:00 AM  
Blogger Madeleine said...

i come here via Liz, and am so glad that i did.
your birth story is such a beautiful, and so refreshing from many horrors one hears in hopital wards.

i had all my babies at home, and i have to say was the best experience i could have hoped for.

happy birthday, Miles.
you are one loved boy.

xx

10/02/2006 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger Courageous Kat said...

Happy birthday, little one! I loved reading this story, my dear.

10/02/2006 02:41:00 PM  
Blogger HoBess said...

I come via Liz's blog and am so thrilled by your story. So many new moms in my life right now ... many have scheduled C's. While mine were born in hospitals each of their stories is quite similar to this ... especially the part where I gave up and Pop! out they came!
Happy happy day to all of you!

10/02/2006 06:54:00 PM  
Blogger a said...

Dear Pixie, thank you for sharing this beautiful story. And happy happy birthday to beautiful Miles! Birthday gift is on the way...no really...I love you, Campbells! XOXO

10/02/2006 07:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll never forget that lovely story. Happy Birthday Miles!!! Love to all of you:)

10/02/2006 09:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful entry and happy birthday to Mr. Miles!

I don't have children of my own (yet) but my niece just turned one year old on the sixteenth so I totally relate to the part about them growing up so very fast and what an amazing process it is. It seems like yesterday she was a little helpless baby and now she's this little person who is growing more and more independent each and every day. It's so fun to see their gorgeous personalities emerge, though!

10/03/2006 02:33:00 AM  
Blogger nina beana said...

love this post mama. happy birthday to your little man, and happy birthing to you.

10/03/2006 10:45:00 AM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Beautiful birth story.

My delivery was in a hospital, but it was glorious and easy- for which I am so grateful.

Happy Birthday to Miles. He is gorgeous.

XO

10/03/2006 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Wow! this was beautiful!

Happy Birthday Miles!

xdarlene

10/04/2006 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

happy birthday little boy AND mama. love that newborn shot. so much magic in that little package...

10/11/2006 12:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home