7/12/2006

Slow Spin

MLC and Maui Mommy, June 2006. "The wheel keeps on turning and turning and turning and... nothing's disturbing the way it goes around." ---Edie Brickell. I know, I'm a cheeseball for continuing to listen to albums I had in college. But I love the Edie! Paul Simon has great taste in women. Indeed, the planet has a way of keepin' on without any concern about my wanting it to slow the hell down. I'm turning it over, my inner workings like a compost heap getting hot and buggy. All that comes in gets recycled and with hope, I learn something in the process. This week's big whoop is about natural consequences. When I fall down, I feel the cold sting of the concrete right up on my cheek, solid and unforgiving as it is. I like to fall, and I do it quite a bit. When I am allowed to make my own choices, gravity and other natural laws are quick to greet me. Bear with the Mighty Queen of Metaphors a moment: In childrearing and other pursuits deemed to require careful nurturing and protection, we might safeguard with protective gear, insurance, helmets or cautioning words. It is known that we cannot wholly protect our loved ones from what results from bad manners, poor judgement, lacking hygiene, daredevil impulses. Beyond a wish to ensure physical safety often lies the desire to protect our dears from what others might think. But what can also be noted is that when we parent ourselves or others from fear, we deprive them or ourselves of curiosity and inevitably the opportunity to succeed or fail on their own. What I mean is, by allowing the natural course of things, say, people to make choices without giving unsolicited advice, warnings, suggestions or fear based requests, we give them the gift of learning whether they would make the same choice again, a remarkable tool for learning that cannot be underestimated. I catch myself giving such words out for free and have a strong desire to STOP doing this. I have been warned by well meaning friends that I flirt with flames at times. Call it the daredevil implulses or a blatant disregard for authority figures. I want to pursue my own learning and lessons- my own way, even if it means getting burned. Because there is nothing that exfoliates the dead cells quite like a cement facial, ya'll.

5 Comments:

Blogger Swirly said...

I have learned the most when I've fallen the hardest...funny how that works.

7/13/2006 09:26:00 AM  
Blogger boho girl said...

i too am learning so much down here on the pavement. *smile*

i truly loved and needed this post. you are such an inspiration to me and somehow, serendipitously always say the right things.

i am off to Canada for a week but hope to reconnect with you when i return.

much love, Pixie sweet.

boho

7/13/2006 09:11:00 PM  
Blogger lisrobbe said...

I think that you have made the most true statement around when it comes to allowing the natural course of things. I was not afforded that opportunity as a child and feel at times I have suffered form it. Unfortunately, I think it is not in our nature as humans to allow this. Though I think if more peole such as yourself though this way we could change that. Btw: I love Edie too and her first album will always be one to listen to. College memories return full fold.

7/14/2006 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

What a terrific metaphor.

I grew up with an over protective mother, and consequently or just as my own nature have tended to look for information to make the most educated choice for fear of falling. I still fall on my face a lot though because although I like to consult I still make my own choices. And I too have grown the most when I have.

What I found most profound about this post was that it made me see that not only do I and probably most others, learn from falling, but that my often unsolicited advice isn't really helpful.

Beautiful photo and message.

Love to you

7/14/2006 11:05:00 AM  
Blogger Letha Sandison said...

This was such a wonderful post!! Not only is the lesson a good one for us all but it was so artfully and comically written!! I so enjoyed reading this!

The photo of you and your little one is beautiful too!!

7/17/2006 06:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home