7/24/2006

Ring of Fire

The wildfire season has begun on time this year, with above rager starting yesterday and still proceeding at the moment. I believe the wind keeps shifting and sending it back and forth over the San Emidgio range, east then west then back again. The copters and planes carrying water from Pyramid Lake and Piru have been buzzing overhead since daybreak. Quick shout out to the fire department! We don't have cable television here and are remote enough not to pick up any local channels, so I am out of the loop as to what percentage it is or isn't contained. Living in a remote mountain community brings a person closer to her environment in many senses. Whether being snowed in or flamed out, excitement prevails here. I am picking up lots of writing work these past weeks, and I'm enjoying it immensely. There has been a windfall of people requesting fresh biographies, copy for websites, articles for e-zines all blowing in at once. If you are interested in hiring a wee and wordy fairy to weave your story, email me at campbellhq@earthlink.net and I shall send you my info sheet. Beware my spam snapper. Meantime, working on visual art has swung out for a moment, as the pendulum that is my creative life flows like ocean waves. I have two 24 x 24 canvases prepped and one coated on the studio table, lonely but patient. I saw an advertisement for a new Barbara Scher book (Wishcraft) for people who are pulled in multiple directions. She claims that one needn't choose a single direction...Barb affirms once again. The bits of light coming in are nineteen-seventies-sunset-colored: pink and orange and gold- though it is only noonish here in south central California. Fire is scary and threatening, yet also cleansing and purifying. But I wouldn't be sad if it started pouring rain.

8 Comments:

Blogger Alison Stine said...

Though I too struggle mightly with being-pulled and pulling myself in many directions, I like to think that the direction--the eventual right singular one, or the right one at that instant--chooses us.

7/24/2006 01:38:00 PM  
Blogger Goddess Leonie * GoddessGuidebook.com said...

sending you big love my friend ~
and the multiple blessings of both fire~transformation and rain~new growth.

love to you ~~~
leonie

7/24/2006 04:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pixie! Stephanie mentioned you had a blog, so Em and I were curious and decided to find it, and so glad we did. The storms in our mountains these past few days have been amazing, and I second your hurray for our fire crews now dealing with the aftermath. Emily sends a big warm hug to you and your family, your little guy is bee-you-tee-ful! :)

7/24/2006 04:45:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I must admit, brave friend, that fire scares me, but you are right...it brings renewal! You wise woman. I need a Miles fix.
xoxo

7/25/2006 03:43:00 AM  
Blogger Swirly said...

How interesting that you are getting more writing work - very exciting. Stay out of the way of those flames, my dear.

7/25/2006 08:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just received my Juniper Ridge catalog in the mail yesterday and had to send you my thank you. I wouldn't know about them if it weren't for your recommendation. Now I need to find Barbara's new book. It sounds to me like you are living in a magical place at a magical time. Thank you for sharing the inspiration!

7/26/2006 03:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the writing work! That's wonderful.

I just finished that Barbara Sher book and all I have to say is, "yes!" You are going to LOVE IT.

7/26/2006 09:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count me in sister!

7/26/2006 02:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home