3/21/2006

spt: attached

ooooh, jinkies, this is up close and personal. i took it while i was walking and had no idea if any of the photos would turn out. i was looking for willow, who had snuck round the back of the house to munch in the dirt. cat poo? i hope not.

when i uploaded the shots, i noticed my attached ear lobes, a funny little bone of contention since i learned the difference between free and attached lobes in biology sophomore year. i have a little not-so-secret crush on jack from lost, but have to make the disclaimer that "i could never love a man with attached lobes". i'm a freelobe lover, you could say. just my silly little thing.

another thing i do, and i'm doing it here, is furrow my brow. like, all the time. i think it is because i have burned out my optical nerves and have to squint to see everything, even with correctionals. my dad also does it. it indicates when he's thinking. me too, maybe.

there is a weird feeling comes over me on self portrait tuesday. i call on myself to notice things about ME, but it makes me a teensy bit uncomfortable. my zen thinking hero, byron katie, says that when you feel that little nudge of discomfort in your gut it indicates an inner struggle against what is. reality is sometimes difficult for me to accept. even something little like my subtle yellowy skintone from pregnancy hormones. i forget about things like that and then when brought to my attention, i think "hey! eeewww." or "is that a freaking blackhead in my ear?!" god forbid.

5 Comments:

Blogger nina beana said...

my husband has attached lobes...and i'm a big lobe lover. i made an exception for him, attached lobes and all. and now i'm a convert...i'm made room in my heart for all types of lobes. :)

3/22/2006 08:09:00 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I had a "self portrait" moment today that was very positive...and fleeting. In the locker room before yoga I glanced in the mirror and was struck my how lovely my waist looked...for that moment I didn't focus on my round tummy or obvious bottom...the moment left soon after as I watched my body in the mirrors during class (to check out my posture during the poses...and also try to find that moment when I loved my waist).

3/22/2006 09:52:00 AM  
Blogger boho girl said...

this quote really hit me..."when you feel that little nudge of discomfort in your gut it indicates an inner struggle against what is"

is that what it is?? interesting. thank you so much for this wisdom.

and just for the record...i've always thought you were beautiful. lobes, furrowed brow and all.

3/22/2006 10:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very interesting. I have attached lobes too, though people tease me and say i have no lobes.

I don't actually notice lobes on other people (i'm a hands girl, could never love a man with wimpy hands).

that quote really hit me too. sent echoes through my body.

...what is, what is, what is...

3/22/2006 11:16:00 AM  
Blogger christina said...

I'm DYING to know--what is the difference--I mean, what is the significance of the difference between free & attached lobes?

3/24/2006 10:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home