8/10/2005

returning

Yikes! I was gone two days longer than I expected to be and was promptly kicked out of my house this morning so it could be shown to potential buyers. Keep your fingers xd for me! I've lit my green candle of abundance in the hopes that we receive an offer. I've had to surrender even further into letting go of this dreamy home in order to clear the way for someone new to take it and hopefully appreciate it as much as I do! In the meantime, my weekend was spent busybodying around my parents ranchita, helping mom with a little home interior facelift. Nesting is getting the better of me. I'm quite tired and nappish today, hoping to create some time to collapse in a heap with three dogs and two cats and recover. A question that has come up for me this weekend is "How important is it to speak your mind?" Joan Didion once said "I find speaking one's mind [as a virtue] pretty overrated, in that it usually turns out to be a way of aggrandizing the speaker at the expense of the helpless listener." Seems when I was younger, speaking my mind was a very important mechanism for finding my identity and my place in the world. Now, however, I hold many of my most intimate thoughts private and personal. What do you think? When has speaking your mind been imperative? To whom do you do this with most? Be well today! Oh! And Happy Birthday to Barbara Anne-you friscy lady.

2 Comments:

Blogger Swirly said...

I think it is imperative - particularly in our partnerships - that we choose wisely when it comes to blurting out what is on our minds. I try to be mindful of the space my partner is in, knowing that if he is distracted or just not in the mood to listen, things can easily be taken wrong or simply not heard. This is OK, it teaches me to pay attention. To observe and consider a situation thoughtfully rather than just barrel in like a rhino.

8/10/2005 05:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swirly, I'm the opposite of you...I've spent far too long leaving my opinions unheard and letting myself shrink smaller and smaller. So, I think for me, it's imperative that I make my opinions heard.

However, that said, I think striving for a balance is best--letting ourselves be heard when it's right and listening when it's right. It's hard to do!

8/11/2005 06:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home