7/26/2005

chocolate and grannies

Chocolate is a perfect food, as wholesome as it is delicious, a beneficent restorer of exhausted power... it is the best friend of those engaged in literary pursuits. ~ Baron Justus von Liebig, German chemist
Dang! I love chocolate. I'm a chocolate snob, in fact. Chocolate makes everything right. Go shopping at Dagoba for a sensory treat that makes anything made by Hershey's seem like cat turds. There is a gentle peace finding its way into my being these days. Challenged by boredom and irritability only on occasion now, my small world feels full and lovely. Being home on hiatus from work (I'm a bodyworker by trade) isn't easy to adjust to. I am not one who sits still often. Accompanied by the recent California heatwave, it has been downright inviting to sit about and crankify. But a very special frog that inhabits my womby inner lilypond makes it impossible to fret. And I don't want to spend my energy that way. You see, I think of energy as a bank account. Being pregnant finds me running a bit low, so I am choosing to be careful about how I spend this energy. I'm picking my inner battles more selectively, talking on the phone less, savoring my meals more, doing that listening thingy, and kissing dogs lips each chance I get. I know few people with as much idle time as I have now. I hardly know what to do as the hours click by and the sun comes over the top of the house to burn my windows and mock me. I am finding out, I suppose. I'm working on a series of bits of writing on my elders that I'm finding immensely satisfying to put on paper. Here is a snippet: *there was one painted everything in sight butter lids tin cans collaging images from tv guide chachi and joanie gave me her puppy once ran away as soon i got it home lived in a tiny pink trailer behind her daughter june spit snuff into a coffee can lined with a paper towel and ate a lot of bacon under a swamp cooler* I miss my squishy granny.

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Ah my Pixie Chick! I love that you are embracing your quiet time. That is a lesson that I am trying to learn. Things seem awfully slow in my life right now and I'm trying to sit down and see what happens. I can't always see my reflection when I'm moving at the speed of light.

7/26/2005 01:16:00 PM  
Blogger Swirly said...

Grandma's are the best, and your writing made me teary. I am SO HAPPY you are journaling, and I get to read it!!! xoxo

7/27/2005 09:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fly Buzzard, Fly Buzzard, flipflipflipflip. I miss the Squishy Granny too. It's nice to know she remains imprinted in your heart.

7/27/2005 12:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home