8/01/2005

the almighty woman

Yup, that would be my stomach. And the chiminea and assorted rocks and stuff on my deck. Yesterday I attended a rather auspicious occasion in my own honor. I don't quite know how to describe the INCREDIBLE nature of it. It is called a Blessingway, a version of the traditional Navaho ceremony initiating a woman into motherhood. At one point, I had fourteen, count 'em! Fourteen women brushing my hair, and massaging, fanning or painting on my body as I lay on a giant comfy sheepskin rug. Not since Cleopatra have women been honored in this way. Our culture has no real protocol besides the over gifty baby shower (which certainly serves its purpose of outfitting one for motherhood) to HELP us become mothers. Through the wisdom and support of other women, I feel so much better about my upcoming role as mommy. I just have to shout out to these ladies and say what an incredible gift and what big love you have for me. I am the luckiest woman in the world today. Seriously, words CANNOT express my heart's gratitude. If you know a person who is having a baby, entering womanhood, getting married, etc. there is nothing better you can do than to honor her with a rite of passage, in my opinion. Here are just some of the things that went on: *Purification with rose water (so deliciously feminine) and sage. *A scrapbook was assembled with letters to my baby boy about ME. *An ash tree was hung with wishes for him made by each person in attendance. *A half hour of *indulgent* pampering of my holy body. *Beads were brought by each person and strung to make an amulet for me to clutch when labor comes. *Seated in a circle, prayers of good health, strength, fearlessness and positive energy were shared. *A feast for the goddesses concluded the event, complete with booby and belly cake! WOW. How do you connect with other women, I ask you? What do you yearn to manifest that is different but has the power to enrich your experiences? Can you be vulnerable enough to participate or be the center of an adoring circle? BIG LOVE and AAAAHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOO! from the Coyote today.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well that one made me cry. so much.

so beautiful, i can't get over it.

THAT'S what I was talking about! a celebration.

for the most deserving, powerful, beautiful, giving, human and her precious unborn child.

women are great. I wish i could have been there.

love k.

8/01/2005 11:57:00 AM  
Blogger pinkcoyote said...

i wish you could've been here too. what a honor it would be to sit in circle with YOU!

8/01/2005 12:42:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole Raisin Stern said...

Wow--what a treat! Every woman, man, child, baby should be recipient of such loving celebration among community. Prayers and good thoughts are powerful indeed.
I wish higher education involved real community and was not just spoken about in words. Perhaps with community, rather than the prevailing model of 'each one for herself/himself' no one would succeed unless everyone succeeded.
Thanks for sharing.

8/01/2005 01:07:00 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Oh my darling Pixie Chick!
Look at your big, beautiful belly! I just want to kiss it. I'm so sorry that I wasn't there. I'm thrilled that you were loved and pampered as you deserved. You are deeply loved by many.
As for your questions...I give a lot of weight to my connections with women (as a young actress I found women more threatening...now I revel in their company)...I miss my weekly connection with our Elements back when we lived close together. In fact, I've been thinking a lot about my female friends and how I yearn for a group of gals that I can spend more time with, here in Portland.
As for a circle...one of my favorite scenes is the group of women in "Monsoon Wedding", singing and henna-ing the young bride-to-be's hands. I would love to participate in a circle of women!

8/01/2005 02:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Female Oneness is indeed amazing and powerful. The literal circle creates an energy that one can sense and feel, somewhere just below the threshold of consciousness. It's a mere breath, a heartbeat away from being tangible--palpable.
I am honored and humbled each time I join hands in a circle of Glorious Women. It is satiating to my heart and soul. Being in a sacred circle with my beautiful daughter yesterday and paying homage to her and the Frog was an invaluable gift. It was incredible and spiritual. It was a delightful and joyous. It was Divine.

8/01/2005 05:42:00 PM  
Blogger Swirly said...

My strongest connections with other women tend to be more of a one-on-one nature, and I treasure them. Most - OK ALL - of my strongest ties are with women who are many miles away, so the phone is a big thing for me. To be a part of your sacred circle yesterday was such a treat. I felt very safe in that room, like I was in a protective cocoon of love and beauty.

8/01/2005 10:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah sweet mama, it was a special day and way. Thank you for asking for just that. I think your Blessingway taught/reminded many of us it IS ok to ask for that kind of love and pampering, one needn't be prego either. Women with sister friends, be they 1 or many, need to remember this! You looked as though you put your back to a precipice and let go, knowing you would be safe in your float to earth. What a feeling to be surrounded with love AND safety. So glad I was there to help you float. XO

8/02/2005 08:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pixie, thank you SO much for inviting me to be a part of such a beautiful feminine adventure. When the circle began and we bowed our heads, I was so overcome with emotion that I nearly burst into tears! I was squinting my face, grimacing, hiding under my long bangs, hoping not to interrupt the ceremony. I don't know why .... I think it's because I was so extraordinarily happy to be in the circle with your amazing womenfolk. It was an honor. And I looked at beautiful you with your delightful belly peeking through that fun, sexy tank top, and I pictured Maggie & Julie there, and the emotions just ripped through me -- joy, happiness, gratitude, wonder, excitement and love. Lots and lots of love.

And thank you for my brithday gift -- you're so sweet!! How did you remember that I love Pinot Grigio? Wish I could've spent more time with you & Brandon -- & Swirly (who I hope emails all the great photos she took!)

Thank you for enriching my life. Thank you for being Pixie.

You're going to be such an awesome Mommy!!!!!!

Love,
BA

8/02/2005 07:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home