8/26/2005

miles to go

WHY AM I AWAKE? Perhaps my subconscious is aware that six a.m. is the best time for blogging. I'm still not sure. And I'm not even sure I am awake... I can say that I feel like the mythical Mary looking for a manger to have the Christ child in. Nesting has taken on an entirely new meaning. And I'm not joking, I don't know where the little man is going to see his first glimpse of the world outside Wombsville. The home we are moving off the mountain for is likely not going to be ready for us for another year. Hence all the gypsy comments. Sensible people would rent a house in town until time comes to move again-not us! We will find a way to make our son's first year feel like one long and luxurious camping trip because that is Campbell Style. Note tongue in cheek. Though I must admit I have been having fun anticipating alternative living, just a little. The property we will live on is two and a half acres, perfect for a yurt! Have dining room table, will travel. I can hardly bear to think of life without art supplies. My mission is to find or create a structure in which I can store my precious tubs of molding paste and collage papers and all of their cohorts so that I am able to access them. I'm envisioning a party tent (hey, that reminds me of a dream I had about an elephant emerging from a tent during my four hour sleep-yikes!) but that may be crazy. Following Keri's suggestion to think about (or make lists as we are wont to do) those required material things we can't live without or would take along with us to a 200 sq ft domicile in the country, here are my top five: *Nesting Blanket (nothing slips by me, Christine) *Moleskine/Pens (Pilot G-2 retractable 05) *Field Guide to animals and plants *Cast Iron Skillet *Baby sling Chocolate is a runner-up. Wishing us all an easier day today.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nicole Raisin Stern said...

Thanks for posting the Vashai yurt site. A yurt is my preferred living structure. I also like adobe, cob, strawbale, earthships or other organic earthen domes.
Your baby will have a wonderful home in your arms, the best home there is for a baby.

8/26/2005 08:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read your post and then was checking out NPR and one of the featured stories was about little houses...thought it was quite apporpriate :)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4815029

8/26/2005 08:39:00 AM  
Blogger Swirly said...

You are making me laugh my HEAD OFF (as usual)! Oh darling - why don't you pretend you are at Burning Man? At my camp two years ago we had a kitchen tent, a costume tent and a living room tent!

By the way, I get the reference in the title of this entry. Nothing slips by me either, girlie girl. I love you.

8/26/2005 09:16:00 AM  
Blogger Kerstin said...

Funny that Melissa should mention that link because we were just looking at these this very morning:

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses.htm

Bit too wee for me!

8/26/2005 04:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home