3/02/2006

my life as a pack mule

mi vida del burro...

packing it up today for our second move to interim housing. as a young adult i never imagined that i would live in fifteen different homes between the age of 19-34...moving is one of those things that is just a part of life for me. i'm a busybody and i like the fresh, clean slate that a new living space provides.

i want to slow this down now that we have miles. change is so less easy to bear as a child.

going back to my mountain means going back to my tribe. those people in that community which money cannot buy. you know who you are.

all of my art supplies and books are packed. the baby is sleeping now, giving me an unexpected opportunity to breathe deeply and feel the sparks igniting in my tired bones.

this morning the roosters cock-a-doodled and the crop dusters zoomed softly over. no more waking in the night to the sounds of carrot trucks humming at four am and every dog in the neighborhood barking. instead, the sweet interruption of sleep will be of wild dogs and owls hoo-hooing. i look forward to waking up to squirrels scolding one another (as if someone came dragging in late the night before and is now getting his cold acorn pushed in front of him).

a new environment can be just what one needs to spark some much needed creativity. tell me what your environment looks like. what one or two things are staples in your creative space? what can you advise, that i may not already have tried, in order to settle in more quickly and comfortably?

5 Comments:

Blogger Goddess Leonie * GoddessGuidebook.com said...

ahhhh pinkcoyote of the mountains, it all makes much more sense now to me ~ of course you are of the mountain tribe!

wishing you breath-taking mountain hikes to howl on :)

stapes in my creative space is - ta da - S P A C E. dedicated space that is clear and ready to go can do wonders. even if the rest of the house is brimming with boxes, leave clear space for creating at a moment's notice.

a candle, a chair by the window or a beanbag on the ground, a small plant growing, a bookcase with all books out.

in our many moves, me and my scorpio twin lover always unpack the books pretty much first. they are the most important to us.

wishing you deep blessings on your move and movements; journey and journeys.

love and laughter,
Leonie

3/02/2006 01:29:00 PM  
Blogger Swirly said...

My trick for getting settled quickly is to focus on one thing at a time - get through a box, put it all away, on to the next. And the next and the next and the next!

3/02/2006 06:58:00 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Honey, we are still unpacking! (well, unpack-ing implies that we are actively trying to finish, which is not the case). We did the bedroom and kitchen first and fast. Our current living space has been totally taken over by Pancakes!
Must haves in my office are: pictures of my loved ones (posted on bulletin boards that I paint with funky colors and shapes), some of the key accents that I put up in my first office when I moved here (a special faily lamp and beaded curtain) and a collage that I made. Now that you mention it, I could use a little time in there to get things in order and let the fairy dust flow.

3/02/2006 07:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to settle in quickly (ha! ahem...)
something to eat with, something to sit on, something to sleep on, and a good attitude in your pocket that is reflected in your tired smile as you watch the flakes float to earth.

Hope to stop by sunday.
love to you and your guys.

3/02/2006 08:21:00 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I adore your blog. Miles is so beautiful!! My heart skipped a beat when I saw "in the sacred quiet".

I work w/ Wendy Cook and found you off her blog. I felt compelled to send good wishes your way. Good luck with the move. As I have learned over the past few weeks children tend to adapt to change amazingly and with mommy right by their side Miles will do great!

3/06/2006 11:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home